Late summer nights lead to sleeping later in the mornings and make it harder to get your sleep cycle back on track. You can re-tune your internal clock to get better rest. Try a few of these simple adjustments to your daily routine to help you take control of your sleep patterns:
- Gradually go to bed earlier. If you’re used to going to bed at 11, then a 9:30 bedtime is too much of a leap. Start hitting the sheets at 10:45 the first few nights, then go to bed at 10:30 and keep adjusting by 15 minute increments until your body adjusts.
- Turn it all off. Lights, TV, phones, tablets, your mind. Bedtime is time to relax so dim the lights and clear your mind.
- Open the curtains. Expose yourself to sun first thing in the morning to help you wake up. Let the natural light in your bedroom or step outside to help jump start and wake your brain.
Just as your sleep cycle can get thrown off it’s normal rhythm, a routine can get you back on schedule.
Morning Rituals To Improve Your Life
A morning routine generates momentum. A few ideas to start a great day are:
- Drink a glass of water (while making coffee).
- Eat a healthy breakfast.
- Expose yourself to natural light.
- Stretch/exercise, even if for just a few minutes.